Thursday 27 January 2011

Auditions...

Another quick update really. I'll promise to make another long post in the next week or so, just been a bit tied down with other work duties other than the film.

The auditions have been set up for 9th February in London, just so I can see as many actors as I can. Hopefully the budget allows me to have the actors from London and so far the majority of the actors that have great potential to be in this film are from London.

What I hope to achieve whilst in London is to meet potential actors through auditions for the parts of William and for Thomas. I already potentially have a Thomas (The funeral director) who for me is the actor I had in mind from the beginning, and from speaking via his agent he seems interested. Hopefully the auditions will give me a chance to speak to him in person about the role and to audition him, as well as a variety of other people for the roles of Thomas but most importantly for the role of William.

I admit that I think I have focused my energy on finding the right Thomas because it is the character who I have spent the most time developing on this project. Although the way things have panned out, it is now William who is the main protagonist in the film, with Thomas as the support.

The auditions will give me a chance to really see what the actors can do with the  character of the William. I know not to have a 'too' particular vision of William and to take in to account the talents and capabilities of the actors, who will be able to deliver not necessarily perfectly on the audition but on the day.

I will hopefully set up an open audition in Cornwall, sometime in February/March time in order to see whether it is possible to find the role of William (and Thomas depending on how things pan out) here, which could work in our favour in terms of budget but at the moment I don't want to think too much about this, as if I find the perfect actor in London, then I may have to just do with a smaller budget in other aspects of the film. We shall see what happens.

This open audition in Cornwall will also enable us to try and cast the smaller roles, such as the Butcher, the Pub Landlady, The Fisherman and the role of Reginald. These are small and non-speaking parts (apart from Reginald) but integral to the film, so getting these characters right is just as important as the main characters.

Overall, I think this is all I have to say for now. Apart from the fact that Kamilla has kindly worked through the budget for me, to work out exactly how much money needs to be put into various aspects of the production. I have looked over the rough budget but will meet with her over the next few days to discuss how we lower costs and things that may have been overlooked in the long run.

Things are starting to come together and things are definitely starting to feel more real exciting, even if we are still in the first steps of creating the film.  The last thing that I must mention is that myself (Lee), Kamilla and Joe took a trip to Perranporth on Tuesday 18th January 2011 to take a look at some of the locations for the film. We were quite successful in finding the locations that will be right for the film and hopefully the owners will let us film in their establishments and the council will allow us to film outside.

I will hopefully post more on this development in a future post, but for now that is all.

Stay tuned!

Lee

(I've just realised that I said this was going to be a short post, but ended up rambling on for ages, as per usual. )

No comments:

Post a Comment